Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Do you SEE what I SEE?



About a month ago Carson came home from school and told me that he had failed a test. No not a math, spelling, or science test. A vision test. My first thought was "Yeah Right! " I know that I should have believed him since he is one of the most honest people that I know, but Carson has been wanting glasses for a few months. He thinks they are cool. So of course I was a little skeptical. I let it go for a couple of days until I ran into a friend of mine at a school carnival. Apparently she was the one who had given him the vision test and she said that he really didn't do very well. Okay, Okay so he is really good at faking blindness. A couple of days later after thinking about it I decided to go ahead and schedule an appointment with our Eye Doctor. He would be able to sort this out and explain to Carson that he didn't need glasses right? The day of the appointment arrived and I took Carson to the Dr. While I filled out the paperwork, they took Carson back to do a couple of tests. Then we both headed back to the exam room to see Dr. Miller. Dr. Miller came in and I explained that I really didn't think Carson needed glasses, but wanted to make sure. The testing began. Wait a minute, is that an S or a C? O or a D? ECOTSL.......... From where I was standing, Carson wasn't doing very well. I know that he knows his letters, I mean he is reading chapter books. Maybe it's okay to miss a few! I don't know! Dr. Miller checked a couple more things and then the lights came back on. This was the moment for the truth to be reveled. "Looks like someone needs glasses." Are you sure? "Definitely some near-sightedness." Wow, he really can't see! I guess I should have realized it, considering I am pretty much blind myself (-8 in both eyes). I started wearing THICK and I mean THICK glasses (Thanks Mom) when I was little and I was wearing hard contacts by the fifth grade. Of course Carson was totally excited. And although we didn't agree on the glasses he chose, I still think he looks great and it's great that he can see. It's always good to see!

4 comments:

The Papa's said...

All I have to say is that he looks dang handsome in those blue glasses. Oh, and I tagged you!!!

The Calico Crew said...

I guess i didn't notice the color of the glasses. That makes them even better. I can't believe you have blogged about so many things that I am just now catching up on. Glad you're keeping busy!

John said...

He looks great in his new glasses! Bekah keeps telling me she wants glasses, but when I say she'll have to go get her eyes checked by the doctor, she stops asking. It's so fun to read your blog and keep up on your family.

Angie said...

Oops! That was me, not John. :)