Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Coupons Really Work!

Okay, so a couple of months ago I decided that I was going to start clipping coupons. I kept hearing about people saving a ton of money with them and since I am a naturally thrifty person (Thanks to my mom) I really wanted to get in on the action. So I started clipping coupons on Sundays. Finally I was ready to go grocery shopping. I made my list and headed to the store. Wow what a disaster. After almost 3 hours of checking each coupon and matching it with the right item I headed to the checkout stand. Expecting a big return I was shocked to see that I had only saved $6.00. Oh my gosh! My time is worth more than that. Okay I guess I am giving up couponing, but I still couldn't stop myself from cutting them out every Sunday.

Fast forward to one week ago. I attended a class on couponing. Apparently I was doing it all wrong. They gave me a link to a website called grocerysmarts.com and a lot of information. I left totally motivated and ready to start saving money. So on Friday I decided to give it another try. I spent a couple of hours on the website getting familiar with it and preparing my shopping list. Finally I was ready to brave the grocery store again with my list and coupons in one hand and my husband's hand in the other.

We started with Albertson's and even though that is not my usual store, I was told that they have really great sales. So I went through my list (Wow preparing ahead of time really makes it go smoothly.) Potatoes-Check, baby food-Check, popcorn-Check, vegetables-Check, Cereal-Check, etc.....

Finally we were ready to check out. The stress was building. What if this didn't work? What if I read the coupon wrong? What if, What if, What if? I watched as the total got higher and higher. Then I handed her my coupons and suddenly the total got lower and lower. Wow, I have already passed my previous $6.00 accomplishment. Finally she rang everything in.

Total $53.64. Savings $146.89.

Is she sure? Can that be right. Wow! I am good. I am sold.

Thank-you Grocerysmarts!

4 comments:

The Calico Crew said...

Besides that website, Tiff has one on her blog that is cheap or free deals. She just got a couple hair ties (elastic ponytail holders) for free because of the coupons she clipped. Cody should know of a lot of good deals because WalGreens always seems to have some coupon deal going on...or at least it seems that way. Speaking of Wal Greens why don't you guys move over here and he can work at the Hurricane store. Great idea, eh? They have a V-ball league starting up here soon. :-) Just something to think about.

The Calico Crew said...

The website is http://goodorfreedeals.blogspot.com--if you're interested. She gets some swinging deals!

Bethany said...

Hi! Im glad you found me! The neighborhood sure misses you. I bet you love Activity Days! I has been probably my most favorite calling ever-I have been it in 3 different wards(weird how some people have a certain calling stapled to there forehead). Anyway, I was sad to released from those sweet girls a couple of weeks ago but I am in Primary now so I will still get to see them all. So good to hear from you, Hayden is a DOLL! She looks alot like Cody to me. Take care-Bethany Hill

bows and more said...

Okay I am sold too! I need to learn all those tricks! Glad to see you are a blogger now! Beware it is addicting! Your kids are getting so big and Hayden is a DOLL! We miss you guys! Love to keep in touch!